Friday, December 17, 2010

The most wonderful time of the year...

There is something very special about watching children get ready for the holiday season. As a first year teacher, I experienced the joys of Halloween and Thanksgiving, but nothing can compare to the week before winter break. For weeks (literally, since Halloween I believe) my children have been waiting for Christmas. Starting in November, they began practicing their songs for THE assembly (please put a lot of emphasis on THE, it's that important!). They counted the weeks, then the days, and starting last Monday, they began counting the hours. Needless to say, this week before break did not contain a lot of learning.  They tried so hard, but goodness, it is hard to concentrate with that much excitement! What did this week before break contain? Joy. Pure joy. There was joy in their eyes as they watched Santa parade down the hallway (aka the custodian at our school, shhh, don't tell:), joy in the mountain of cookies I watched them demolish in mere moments, joy as they came in with precious homemade gifts 'just for you, Ms. Rajanen!' and joy as I watched them stand proudly and sing their songs at THE assembly. I hope you enjoy the few seconds of singing I caught on video. If nothing else, I hope you can sense the joy, they have plenty to go around! Happy holidays, from Room 206 to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment